About John Barnes Group
John Barnes & Co (Qld) Pty Ltd provides products and services in relation to locksmithing; restricted locking systems; supply and installation of architectural door hardware and washroom equipment. The Group includes John Barnes & Co (Qld) Pty Ltd and John Barnes Projects Pty Ltd. Both companies are bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) upon which this policy is based.
1. Consideration of Personal Information
Clients have the option of not identifying themselves, however, if you choose not provide personal information it may be impractical to conduct business with you.
2. Collection of Personal Information
Information we collect from you
John Barnes & Co (Qld) Pty Ltd will only collect information that is reasonably necessary for one or more of our legitimate functions or activities and will only do so by lawful and fair means. We collect information about you and your interactions with us and collect information in a variety of ways including:
- When you request a product or service whether by email, telephone or in person
- When you make a credit card purchase
- When you visit our website or mobile applications
We also collect personal information from staff to maintain current employee information for employment-related purposes, this information can include:
- Applications for employment including resumes and references
- Copies of academic /trade qualifications
- Proof of Australian citizenship
- Medical certificates or health related information
- Superannuation contributions
- Information relating to an employee’s training and development
If you contact us the information that we collect from you may include identifying information such as name, phone number, email address and where applicable other personal details such as marital status, medical history and criminal history, for example in the case of considering employment.
Other than circumstances such as unlawful activity or serious threats to health and safety, we do not share personal information.
Information we collect from others
We collect information about you from others, such as employers, agents or service providers. For example, if you apply for a credit account, we many need to obtain a credit report from a credit reporting agency. If you apply for employment we may collect information in regards to qualifications; medical and criminal history.
We may collect information about you that is publicly available, for example, public registers; social media or made available by third parties.
The Privacy Act also protects your sensitive information, therefore, John Barnes & Co (Qld) Pty Ltd shall not collect sensitive information without your consent and shall only be requested if:
- The information is required for one or more of the company’s functions or activities
- The information is required or authorised by or under an Australian law
How your information is held
Personal information we collect is held in paper files and/or electronic databases. We take reasonable steps to preserve your personal information from loss, misuse, interference, as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Only people who have a business need to access the personal information held on
our databases can access this information.
We take steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is accurate, up to date and complete. These steps include maintaining and updating personal information when we are told by individuals that their personal information has changed, and at other times as necessary.
When no longer required, personal information whether paper files or electronic databases are destroyed/deleted in a secure manner, in accordance with John Barnes & Co Records Management.
How we use and disclose your personal information
We only use personal information for the purpose for which it is collected and directly related purposes.
Personal information collected by the company is, or may be used for:
- Billing purposes
- To maintain your account
- To notify you about new products or services that we think may be of interest to you
- To manage our relationship with you and provide customer support
- To provide you with products, services or information that you have requested
- To streamline and personalise your experience while dealing with the company
- To maintain employee contact details
Personal information collected by the company shall not be used or disclosed to anyone else unless:
- You consent to it being used or disclosed for another purpose
- You would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information for another purpose and that purpose is related to the purpose for which it was collected
- Its use or disclosure is required or authorised by an Australian law or a court or tribunal order
- The use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for the purposes of a confidential alternative dispute resolution process such as mediation
- The use or disclosure is reasonably necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal or equitable claim.
3. Exchange of Information
We exchange your information with our other Group so that we may adopt an integrated approach to our customers. Group employees may use this information for any of the purposes mentioned in section 2.
We may exchange your information with third parties where this is permitted by law or for any of the purposes mentioned in section 2.
Third parties include:
- Those to whom we outsource certain functions, for example, subcontractors and debt recovery
- Claims related providers, such as assessors and investigators, who help us with claims
- Former or prospective employers
- Government and law enforcement agencies or regulators
- Credit reporting bodies
Notification of the collection of personal information
When we collect personal information from someone other than the individual, for example, body corporates, real estates, centre managements or other ‘landlords’, we shall notify the individual as soon as practicable.
If you do not wish to receive any direct marketing, then please advise us by using any of the methods set out in section 7.
4. Credit Checks and Credit Reporting
When you apply to us for a credit account we need to know that you are able to meet payments. Upon application for an account with John Barnes & Co (Qld) Pty Ltd or John Barnes Projects Pty Ltd, we may carry out a credit check on your organisation. One of our checks involves obtaining a credit report about you.
Credit reports contain information about your credit history which helps us to assess your credit application, verify your identity and manage your account.
What information can we exchange with credit reporting bodies
The information that we can exchange includes your name, your credit limit, outstanding amounts and whether or not you have met payment obligations and if you have committed a serious credit infringement.
5. Accessing, Updating and Correcting Your Information
You may request access to personal information about you that we hold subject to some exceptions allowed by law. You may ask us to correct your personal information if you find that it is not accurate, up-to-date or complete. These services are usually free of charge but in some cases there may be a charge to cover the time spent locating, photocopying, and compiling the information you have asked for.
To protect your privacy and the privacy of others, we will need evidence of your identity before we can grant you access to information about you or change it.
We take all reasonable precautions to ensure that the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of that information depends on the information that you provide. That is why we recommend that you let us know if there are any errors in your personal information and keep us up-to-date with any changes to your personal information such as name, address, contact details.
6. We Protect Your Personal Information
To help protect the privacy of data and personal information we collect and hold, we maintain physical, technical and administrative safeguards. We update and test our security technology on an ongoing basis. We train our employees about the importance of confidentiality and maintaining the privacy and security of your information. Access to your Personal information is restricted to employees who need it to provide benefits or services to you.
7. Website Analytics
media site to connect your visits to this site with other personal information.
8. Making a Complaint
You can contact us by email, or send your request or complaint to the postal address below. We undertake to respond within 30 days. If the request or complaint will take longer to resolve, we will provide you with a date by which we expect to respond.
Contact us about your privacy concerns
|Phone||07 3275 8888|
John Barnes &Co (Qld) Pty Ltd
PO Box 344
Salisbury Qld 4107